Tuesday, September 8, 2009



This past weekend, Adam had some work to do in Charleston SC and of course we all wanted to tag along. We left late on Friday night so that the kids wouldn't have to miss any school, but didn't take into account that there would be so much traffic to get out of the city. We didn't get in to Charleston until 1am! Uggh it was so hard to want to stay awake. We stayed in a sweet hotel (Embassy Suites ) in the downtown area and it was awesome! It was the Old Citadel school from 1822 till 1921 when the school was moved into a bigger facility down a few blocks. It remains the same with a few upgrades(like private bathrooms and airconditioning) but it was set up as a fort to protect Charleston from the slaves who came over from Denmark. In that time the blacks very much outnumbered the whites. In the dining room- the original gun windows that the soldiers would put the rifles thru to shoot out are still there. It was so cool to see all the old artifacts that were found when the Citadel was being turned into the hotel. We loved it there. We went to Folly beach- not one of our favorites but the kids still had fun. The waves were REALLY rough and it was super windy on Sunday, so we only stayed maybe about 3 hours which if you know us.... you know when we go to the beach, it is ALL DAY LONG! So we packed it in, and took the kids shopping and to On The Border! Ummm, when did my Taylor become such a clothes freak? My gosh- that girl tried talking us into buying her everything her heart desired. I am immune to such cuteness but alas- her dad is not! Monday Adam really wanted to go to Patriot Point which is a Museum dedicated to our War Heroes and it is on a decommissioned war ship- The Yorktown. All I have to say is... AWESOME. I am really glad we went even though I complained (a little) I even found my Great Uncles name on the wall of "Above and Beyond the Call" wall. Then I was able to pull his name and photo up inside the Fallen Heroes museum and read his story. He died in the Korean War at the age of 24 when he sustained massive wounds while distracting the enemy so that his troop could get away. Being able to see that was worth the day and it made me feel good... I always knew about him but it was so awesome to see his name... right there with all the others. In the Aviation Memorial there was a quote that read "When you go home tomorrow, tell them of us and say- For your tomorrow we gave our Today." Killed me to watch all the videos and see all the original men who were at one time serving in active duty on this huge aircraft carrier ship because I kept thinking- they were so young... some of them just boys. I wondered- did they think one day that ship would be a museum and that so many people would look at them with awe? So I guess my message tonight would be- be grateful for the many privileges and freedoms you are able to enjoy! God Bless our Troops and the USA! Love and Hugs-

6 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Wow! That is really awesome you saw your uncle's name on that tribute wall. "For your tomorrow, we gave our Today." - what a powerful quote. They really did, didn't they? I am very grateful for the sacrifices that our troops (and their families) make everyday as they defend our freedom. Thanks for sharing this. :)

Cindy said...

So neat to hear about your recent trip. I really felt emotional as you spoke about your uncle. It makes me think of so many that have given their all for us. Love you....miss you XOXOX PS Nice glasses Taylor.

Unknown said...

Hi all my love ones, I just love that I can turn my computer and share time with you and see what you have been doing. Looks like it was fun at the beach again. How wonderful that you found your uncle info. PRICELESS... Each night I hold you all in my arms and kiss you good night. I look forward to January. Good night my sweets Love you my heartful.... Love Grandma Pam P.S. the glasses look hot

Jess said...

That is amazing! They have given so much so that we can take it all for granted! It's nice to remember that & appreciate our freedoms.
P.S. Where did you get the music on your blog? I really like it.

Jess said...

Just kidding. I found it at the bottom of your page!

D and H fam said...

Oh I am so jealous!! I love Charleston, and you are SO right, the Yorktown is awesome. Did you guys go inside the submarine??? That's pretty nifty too. Dustin accidentally broke a piece off of one of the airplanes (that you can sit in) one time that we were there. I "might" have kept it as a souvenir. :) I LOVE all the historical stuff in Charleston. Did you see Rainbow Row and all those HUGE houses along the shore??? Oh I miss it. And again, you're right, God Bless our troops, if it weren't for them we may not even have such things to go and see!!

About Me

My photo
Adam and I have been married now for 14 years! To make a long story short- we met at the end of June, had our first date on July 4th, and were married on Sept 1, 1995. All I have to say, is "it was in his kiss." Adam is now a regional manager with Vita-mix. It has been a great blessing to have him here at home so that he can witness his children doing and saying all the fun things they do. We love where we live, but really do miss living close to both our parents and siblings. We have so much fun when we are all together and I am so lucky to have 4 fun loving wonderful sister in laws,lots of friends and 4 amazing BEST friends to hang out with. I know many of you will find this shocking but one of my best friends is my mother in law! I know that I can call on her at any time just to share a good laugh. She has given me the best thing a woman can give away- her son. I know- grab the tissue, I'll wait. Seriously- I love life and above all I am so grateful to know that MY FAMILY IS FOREVER!