Sunday, April 26, 2009

CouchKickers Unite!!

 
Posted by Picasa

So my big secret is that for the last 6 weeks I have been taking a "From the Couch to a 5K" class. The final day of class was the "Jay Cullens-Memorial-Share the Road 5K". (The photo of me with an older woman is his widow- and she is so sweet!) I have always wanted to run.. and I finally am able to really do it! I joined the class and recruited my friend Barbara. We worked hard and although I personally didn't do as good as I thought I would, I am still glad that I DID IT! We had two hills to climb.. one in the middle and one at the end. The end one about did me in, as I thought I was seriously going to go into cardiac arrest! Thank Goodness Barbara was there to say "you got this". After making it up the hill and fighting the demons in my legs which were shouting "can't go on!", I realized that I had made it!! I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, so we kicked it into overdrive! I remember Barb asking me if I was "OK" and me saying "no- let's finish"- we came in at 33:13! So we weren't the first, but we were NOT the last! I was really hoping to come in under or around 30 minutes but since this was the first time- I will just keep trying for better! It was cool to have people cheering us on- especially when I yelled "it's our first time ever!" I have met some amazing people, and I hope that we all can continue to meet up and run as a group again in upcoming events. That is the plan.. as we were all first timers and are hooked. I am looking forward to this upcoming week and the training... Adam and I are running a 5k this Saturday. All I hope to do is.... blow him out of the water! Love and Hugs....

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations! I think your 33 minutes is great for you first time. Good for you!

The Papa's said...

I think that's awesome!!! I've been wanting to do a 5K to start, just give me a little more time & I think I'll try it. Sounds like you guys are doing well. And no, no babies for us for quite a while. With Dan in school it's just not gonna happen.=0) Oh, and what a special opportunity for Parker. You guys should be SO proud!!!

Ryan, Helen and Kids said...

Hey way to go!!!! Not bad at all for your first at 71 degree. So proud of you. Thanks for your comments, my knee is getting better but I miss the running can't wait to get back to it. I have been rideing my bike and lifting weights so that I can still be active. You look great too, hot mama! Yeah, PTA is still part of my very busy schedule and I will be president next year.... I love it we are doing good. I'm glad you and the fam is doing so well. The kids are getting big. Good luck this weekend!! miss ya!

Melissa (Wallick) Larson said...

Sounds like a lot fun. Having a partner to run with makes a lot of difference. I am glad you had that support. Good luck this weekend!!!

By: Amanda said...

Well, just look at you go showing all of us up! Good work....and thanks for giving me a little nudge on focusing on being a bit healthier!

Cindy said...

Love the slide show of Parkers big day.

About Me

My photo
Adam and I have been married now for 14 years! To make a long story short- we met at the end of June, had our first date on July 4th, and were married on Sept 1, 1995. All I have to say, is "it was in his kiss." Adam is now a regional manager with Vita-mix. It has been a great blessing to have him here at home so that he can witness his children doing and saying all the fun things they do. We love where we live, but really do miss living close to both our parents and siblings. We have so much fun when we are all together and I am so lucky to have 4 fun loving wonderful sister in laws,lots of friends and 4 amazing BEST friends to hang out with. I know many of you will find this shocking but one of my best friends is my mother in law! I know that I can call on her at any time just to share a good laugh. She has given me the best thing a woman can give away- her son. I know- grab the tissue, I'll wait. Seriously- I love life and above all I am so grateful to know that MY FAMILY IS FOREVER!